Friday, April 29, 2011

Ricotta Mousse with Fragoline di Bosco

IMG_6355

If there is one thing I love, it's indulging in a simple yet elegant dessert on a weeknight with an extra long spoon. This ricotta mousse took 10 minutes to prepare and will raise your spirits on a regular hum drum night, but is special enough to serve to guests.

IMG_6353

Fragoline di bosco are "wild" strawberries that are cultivated in a town called Nemi about 30 minutes outside Rome in the Alban Hills. The strawberries are grown on the side of the lake which is actually a volcanic crater. We escaped the heat of Rome two summers ago to Nemi, as do many Romans when the heat gets unbearable. As we strolled through the streets of this tiny town, we stopped to enjoy some of these fresh berries.

IMG_3370

IMG_3377

Fragoline are popular this time of year in delicate fruit tarts and desserts. They are very fragile and must be consumed quickly. They cannot be washed or they practically dissolve. Like a lot of things that grow in the wild, they have also been used medicinally. These little beauties can alleviate digestive disturbances, and are also high in vitamin C, iodine, iron and calcium. All this in addition to their rustic charm.

IMG_6348
`
Mousse di Ricotta
This recipe was created by Cristiana from our favorite restaurant in Rome, Santa Lucia. She was kind enough to share the recipe with us. It makes enough for 4 small servings. The original recipe calls for Grand Marnier but I didn't want to buy a bottle so I used some lemon oil which adds just the right fresh, bright flavor I was looking for.

250 grams (1 cup) cows milk ricotta
2 soup spoons sugar
2 soup spoons Grand Marnier or substitute 1/4 teaspoon lemon or orange oil
3 soup spoons Whipped Cream

Beat the ricotta and the sugar for several minutes with an electric mixer until it becomes creamy. Add the Grand Marnier. Whip the cream (or use whipped cream from a can) and fold in with a spoon or spatula. Serve with wild strawberries, raspberries or blueberries.

IMG_6361

9 comments:

  1. Nicole: how gorgeous and what an exquisite dessert... I need to make it. And I love your photos. Fragoline di bosco are incredibly aromatic and amell like flowers...i really really miss them here.... Strangely I have never been to Nemi before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So simple. Just the kind of dessert that I love. The strawberries look like tiny jewels floating on a cloud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh. Mmmm. I love ricotta mousse, but I've only ever had the chocolate version. I'm like you in that I never like to buy a bottle of liquor to spoon into food. I tend to play it cheap unless there's a really special occasion ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amelia, Nemi is quaint and a good escape if you are in Rome when the temperatures rise as they tend to do in the summer!

    Amuse Bouche- They are tiny jewels on a cloud of ricotta goodness!

    HGF- I've never had the chocolate version. Why didn't I think of that?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such a beautiful blog! I am happy to follow you now!

    Wild strawberries simply can not be beat and these desserts are just beautiful! It was wonderful they shared the recipe with you!

    Lovely pictures all around!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Design Wine and Dine- thanks so much, what a nice compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So excited to see someone on the internet who shares my passion of fragoline!! I hope you don't mind that I linked my blog post about fragoline to your recipe. Hope my readers try their hand at it... if they are lucky enough to get their hands on some fragoline! :)

    Amanda from Sedimentality.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. When we lived in France we would often find these "fraises des bois" tucked in the grass, what a delight! Love this dessert.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...