Saturday, June 11, 2011

Chansons et Crêpes

IMG_6901

I've had many homecomings over the years. This time the trip to my father's place in Amherst, Massachusetts was more taxing both physically and emotionally. The realizations upon re-entry, this time more profound, feeling like we've been gone maybe a little too long. We're settling in, learning new rhythms, adjusting to a more peaceful existence. There are stories to be told, meals to be shared, songs to be sung.

Growing up with a Franco-American father, I was introduced early on to his love of French foods, culture, and songs. I may have been a bit embarrassed about his singing as a kid, but now I find I'm the one singing those same French-Canadian ditties constantly and Roman loves them, nodding his head in rhythm to our voices.

IMG_6862IMG_6863


IMG_6866IMG_6885

My father first ate crêpes as a young boy, made by his grandfather "Pépère Georges." As one of seven boys in the 40's and 50's times were hard. He recalls his Pépère's crêpes as "rubbery" maybe for lack of sufficient eggs, and served with molasses. But they were still a treat when sweets were few and far between. As a young adult, my dad bought himself a copy of Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking and soon perfected his own crêpes.

Although my mother was the primary cook in our house, every once in a while my dad would get a hankering and whip up one of his specialties, much to our delight. His répertoire at the time was mainly baguettes, gougères (cheese puffs), coq au vin, omelettes, really fabulous grilled cheese sandwiches and of course, crêpes.

IMG_6911

I asked him to make me some in his beautiful old De Buyer pan which is so perfectly seasoned after 48 years of use. We tasted one with molasses just for old-times sake but we settled on the simple pleasure of white sugar and a spritz of lemon juice.

Vive les bons vieux temps (Long live the good old days!).

IMG_6913

Tous les soirs, dans la cuisine, quand sont assis les voisins
On apporte la farine, fine fleur de sarazin
Et l'on fait sauter des crêpes
A la mode de chez nous

Grand maman pour se distraire
En grignote tout le temps
"Comment faites vous grand mère
Vous qui n'avez plus de dents?"
-"ça descend tout seul, les crêpes!"

(Translation:
Each night in our kitchen with the neighbors gathered 'round
We bring out the flour, fine buckwheat flour
and we make crêpes
the way we like them

Grandma nibbles them all the time
To distract herself
"How do you do it, Grandma, without any teeth?"
-"Crêpes go down on their own!")

From "La Bonne Chanson"(1939) one of the song books from my father's youth.

13 comments:

  1. c'est bon Nicole - merci pour l'avoir faite!
    Papa3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole: what touching moments you shared... You made me cry, thinking of similar emotions i will have when visiting my dad in italy this summer: i leave tomorrow... Perfect timing for me to do some soul searching ahead of time, and be prepared. Merci.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And when will your father be starting his blog? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are beautiful! I'll say he has mastered them for sure! What a wonderful post...both your writing and your photos... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amelia: Buon Viaggio, buon rientro.... just be open to the emotions and then you'll settle right back in. Enjoy your parents' wonderful cooking. Abbracci!

    Tracy- he has a food venture coming soon, we're actually going to help him with the photos while we're visiting!

    Care: Thank you, I'm definitely benefitting from his cooking, he made the cheese puffs today! Mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nicole,
    So nice to find your blog--and thank you for visiting mine.
    I, too, am of French-Canadian heritage. My grandfather grew up outside Quebec, one of 11 children in a French-speaking household. He and many of his siblings settled in Pittsfield MA and Albany NY.

    With blueberries and black raspberries ripening on our bushes, I have been considering crepes as a tasty vehicle for them--this seals it!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. There must be something in the air! I made crepes for the first time ever this week, but I stuffed mine, first with nutella and bananas and then with ham and cheese. Yours sound wonderful, and look waaaaay better than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nancy, What a coincidence- I was born in Pittsfield!! of all places.... Bienvenue sur mon blog :)

    Moomser: your crepe fillings sound wonderful. See how easy they are to make too?

    ReplyDelete
  9. We look forward to crepes and spending more time with you all! What a feast we had Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The only thing my dad cooked was pb&j sandwiches! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. It must be wonderful to be home, I'm glad you all had a safe if tiring trip, both physically and emotionally. It takes time to adjust, but sounds like you already are. I love hearing about your childhood and your Dad's recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your dad has quite the répertoire and those lyrics are pretty fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...